What's This About

Animations - book-02
Having some time on my hands, I wanted to help make books available to everyone in the world. The Gutenberg Project prepares public domain books for download and reading as an e-book. These books are available free by anyone with internet access and can be forwarded on CD & DVD. There are currently over 14,000 free e-books that have been converted to an e-book format.

The process begins with someone scanning a public domain book and then running it through an OCR program. This is only the beginning!

Before a book can be put into the Gutenberg library it must be proofed several times and then properly formatted. All this work is done by volunteers.

I've begun my association with the Gutenberg Project as a "newbie" proof-reader with the "Distributive Proofreader" team. I've received great and friendly feedback from mentors and have quickly become acquainted with the extensive guidelines available to help with this task.

To learn more and find out how to become a volunteer yourself check out both the Gutenberg Project and the Distributive Proofreader sites by clicking the Gutenberg Project Links on the right.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

23 January 2009 - Post #3

Hello again.

More stats:

1. Completed proofing 47 pages- so far they are still EASY pages. I've checked to see how many EASY pages I should do before I move on, but to no avail. So, here's my arbitrary progression: given that people are to do a minimum of 300 pages before graduating to P2. I will do 100 pages total in EASY (which includes BEGIN ONLY, NEWCOMERS ONLY and EASY).

2. My ranking is now 6874 up 956 places! Wow, seems it doesn't take many pages to progress quickly. In fact, so far I am the fasted person to do 47 pages - 22 days! That's only about 2 pages per day. (right now I'm doing 4 a day)

3. Completing my first book - 16% of my first book.

I'm still receiving feedback from some of the Newcomers only pages and remain impressed with the pleasant and helpful comments. I always reply, and they usually reply back. I think many of these mentors are concerned whether or not the recipient is happy or peeved with the responses. To those people who are peeved, I think they need to chill. It's best to try and put yourself in their place: they are spending extra time to try and make us all better at what we do. Hopefully, people don't take it too personally. I understand no one wants to be told they did something wrong, it's a function of the project we've taken on. Practice makes perfect and mentored practice makes perfect more quickly.

On the personal side, I'm still doing okay. I don't feel like I'm improving, but then I live with myself minute by minute - so any improvement would be insidious. I do know though, that when I'm proofing (and blogging) I tend to forget my discomfort.

I had my eyes checked yesterday: it's been about three years. They only changed a little - but new glasses anyway. This time I think I will forgo those "no-line" bifocals. The ones I have now require me to turn my head to keep things is focus (vice just moving my eyes). Since my neck mobility is lacking, I need to use my eyes to see left and right rather than my neck.

I noticed that Mr Obama gave a speech that was both optimistic but tempered for expectations. I hope people give him the latitude to fix what he can. Of course politicians, particularly when in opposition, can be vicious. I believe he can help the world. Hopefully, we can show we deserve it.

Well, all for now.

Take care and CU.

No comments:

Post a Comment