What's This About

Animations - book-02
Having some time on my hands, I wanted to help make books available to everyone in the world. The Gutenberg Project prepares public domain books for download and reading as an e-book. These books are available free by anyone with internet access and can be forwarded on CD & DVD. There are currently over 14,000 free e-books that have been converted to an e-book format.

The process begins with someone scanning a public domain book and then running it through an OCR program. This is only the beginning!

Before a book can be put into the Gutenberg library it must be proofed several times and then properly formatted. All this work is done by volunteers.

I've begun my association with the Gutenberg Project as a "newbie" proof-reader with the "Distributive Proofreader" team. I've received great and friendly feedback from mentors and have quickly become acquainted with the extensive guidelines available to help with this task.

To learn more and find out how to become a volunteer yourself check out both the Gutenberg Project and the Distributive Proofreader sites by clicking the Gutenberg Project Links on the right.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

29 January 2009 - Post # 4

Hello, once again.

I am now officially a "Proofreader," as opposed to a newbie. At proofed page 50, it appears you are given this new designation. I checked the forums and the Wiki to find out more, but to no avail. So, I checked other's stats and it seemed when someone moves from their 49th page to 50, they automatically become a "Proofer." It's a little less dramatic than I had hoped, but its still a nice moniker.

On with the stats:

1. As can be seen from the above, I'm now over 50 pages - 78 to be exact. I'm still working on the Easy pages, and still missing the odd thing (but mostly the weird ones - I think) so I will continue to do the easyt until 100 as I previously set.

2. My rank now is 5648 and have achieved that in 29 days (up 1226 levels!). The next fastest to 78 pages is at 123 days. I have set myself to do several pages each day and so far I have done that.

3. Completing my first book - I'm now at 26% of my first book.

I'm no longer receiving direct feedback about my proofing. I check the next level proofer's "diffs" to see what I missed (or what was corrected of mine) to see how I'm doing. So far, I think I'm doing okay. I still miss a small number of tiny things - like extra spaces between punctuation- but only rarely. Usually, the things I miss now are when something unusual occurs and the guide is unclear or it is described in an obscure place. One case had to do with an error I found from a previous proofer and I wasn't sure how to correct it. In this case I got it half right.

Nevertheless, I often email the next level proofer to ask questions and make observations and so far I have always received comprehensive and courtious responses. It's nice to be treated professionally - especially as we are all volunteers.

I'm doing fine. I have tried to increase my activity level by doing more workouts to increase my stamina- the Wii Fit is grand. Although, it is taking a little weight off. I really can't afford to lose more weight. While my BMI is in the normal range, it's in the low normal. I still don't like eating, especially the high caloric stuff I'm told to eat (or rather drink, since I still have no functioning saliva glands) and I think the sugar is giving me tongue cankers. I should increase my food intake, but it just feels like work or exercise: I take no enjoyment from it.

I guess I'll have to look for palatable alternatives if I want to gain some of my weight back. Sigh!

Otherwise, I guess things are going okay. With the snow we are getting, I have to go outside more often to snow-blow the driveway. Even though I have a tractor, I'm still pretty worn out by the time I'm finished.

Well, all for now. Take care.

Nerill

No comments:

Post a Comment