What's This About

Animations - book-02
Having some time on my hands, I wanted to help make books available to everyone in the world. The Gutenberg Project prepares public domain books for download and reading as an e-book. These books are available free by anyone with internet access and can be forwarded on CD & DVD. There are currently over 14,000 free e-books that have been converted to an e-book format.

The process begins with someone scanning a public domain book and then running it through an OCR program. This is only the beginning!

Before a book can be put into the Gutenberg library it must be proofed several times and then properly formatted. All this work is done by volunteers.

I've begun my association with the Gutenberg Project as a "newbie" proof-reader with the "Distributive Proofreader" team. I've received great and friendly feedback from mentors and have quickly become acquainted with the extensive guidelines available to help with this task.

To learn more and find out how to become a volunteer yourself check out both the Gutenberg Project and the Distributive Proofreader sites by clicking the Gutenberg Project Links on the right.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

15 January 2009 - My Opening - Post #1

Hi, as this is my first actual blog, let me say welcome.

I'll start by telling you what I intend to say and do over the next entries.

Mostly I'll talk about my goals. For personal reasons they are somewhat short-term goals. In addition, I'll talk about my impressions on the Distributed Proofreading project. I'll discuss a little about how I'm doing and coping with my cancer and recovery (I'll try not to become maudlin). And, of course, I always reserve the right to discuss somethings that I truly feels need to be discussed (even if for only my own mental health - lol).

My initial goals are modest:

1. Make it through the "Beginner's Pages" - which I have now done. I took the advice and did only one page a day. This allowed me to gain feedback from the mentors as I went along. Also, it gave to time to become accustomed to the Proofreading Guidelines. During that time I had outstanding feedback from the mentors. Their advice was always sound and friendly. It truly helps that encouragement is the main theme. As a group of volunteers it is most desirable to enjoy the time spent. The mentors are a special group of people. I've always admired those who go the extra steps to help others. Since gaining and keeping new proofers is essential for the future of the Gutenberg Project, full kudos to the mentors.

2. Complete 30 Beginner and Newcomer Pages - I'm now at 26 pages. I just noticed a bonus. At 20 pages I now have access to see "Site News."

3. Ranking continuing to go up - of the 22,435 users with at least one P1 page, I am now at 8,591 in 16 days (26 pgs). I notice there is someone else at this rank with only zero days. Hopefully, this is a returning proofer. I don't see why anyone would do that nember of pages their first day. Without taking the time to get proper feedback, one runs the risk of making the same mistake over and over.

4. Helping to complete my first book - this an arbitrary goal. I want to help add 'books' to the library. So, I'm going to set a goal of the number of whole books to which I have contributed. My first goal is one book. Since an average book is, say, 300 pages, I'll use that as a benchmark. To date, then, I have contributed to the completion of 9% of a book (26 of 300 pages).

As for me, I'm doing okay: still alive anyway - smiley face! Not in too much pain - it's barely noticeable - especially when I keep occupied like when proofing and blogging. Just a little more on how I control my discomfort - I like to play a bit of World of Warcraft. My son started and I began playing to see what he was doing. Now I play regularly (but not constantly) and when I do, I don't remember feeling any discomfort during that time. I understand it's the endorphins. Personally, I think games like this should be included in therapy for those with mobility problems and chronic discomfort. I'm well into middle-age and think I will continue to play games well into my old age.

Well, all for now. CU



No comments:

Post a Comment